Ask any real estate agent if you are selling or buying, and they will always recommend a home inspection. So here are my top 10 reasons home inspections are important in no particular order or importance.
1. It’s a small price to pay for peace of mind. We’re talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment, and a few hundreds of dollars for the inspection, makes sense?
2. The inspections will give you a heads up on what potential problems might come up in the future. Before there is a problem.
3. Building codes and standards change frequently and and inspector can point out an item being up to code at the time of installation but might not be up to current standards.
4. Visually inspect plumbing and electrical and recommend an expert if anything looks questionable.
5. Not bid for repair work. The inspectors do not try to get business from the one ordering the report.
6. Recommend what type of contractor would be needed for a repairs or upgrades.
7. Help the buyer or seller determine what price would be reasonable.
8. Give the seller an idea what repairs they may need or want to fix before selling the home.
9. Point out items the buyer may not have noticed in regard to condition.
10. Avoid any surprises regarding the property condition.
I feel a property inspection should not be a negotiating tool, just more information about the property and an enhancement of the sellers disclosure to the buyer so the buyer should have comfort about buying the home and paying a fair price.